prtunnel is a program that can tunnel TCP/IP connections in a variety of ways, including through HTTP and SOCKS5 proxy servers. Some if its possible uses include:
- Tunneling TCP connections from client programs to a remote server through an HTTP or SOCKS5 proxy (useful if you're behind such a proxy and want to use a program that doesn't have native proxy support)
- Tunneling TCP connections from SOCKS-capable client programs through an HTTP or SOCKS5 proxy
- Tunneling TCP connections from an IPv4 client program to an IPv6 server and vice-versa
- Forwarding TCP connections
- Running as a simple SOCKS proxy server
prtunnel is open source software available under a BSD-style license. It has been developed and used under Linux and BSD-based operating systems.
The source code for prtunnel can be found on GitHub.
FreeBSD users: prtunnel is in FreeBSD's Ports Collection. If you're running a recent version of FreeBSD, you can install prtunnel directly from the Ports Collection or download a binary package from a FreeBSD mirror site.